Monday, October 27, 2008

Embracing Change

Change happens. That’s the way life goes, is it not? Each day when you lower your feet to the floor you have no idea what you have in store. Many of us mindlessly pop out of our cozy beds in a groggy state of half sleep and are instantly on autopilot. We move through our homes doing the same things we are accustomed to doing every other unremarkable morning and we move along often not noticing our surroundings or doing anything differently. Little changes occur and we may not even notice.

There are those times however when change is in the foreground and your choice is clearly to embrace it or resist. I am reminded of this right now as I am moving my office location to Exeter, NH which is about 12 miles from where I’ve been the past several years. At first I thought that this would be simple. After all I have moved a number of times in the past. But from the moment I began searching for my new place I was constantly surprised at how much was involved in this undertaking.

From meeting with the painter, choosing colors, arranging for mail and phone services to change, learning the rules and operations of my new building to selecting window treatments, shopping for a new chair and arranging the actual physical move, I must admit I have felt on the verge of collapse from time to time. But, when this exhaustion has crept up on me and I have felt overwhelmed, I have (usually) been able to take a time out to regroup.

Taking a few minutes here and there to breathe and to remind myself of why I am moving, the distinct advantages I will have in my new space and that I am so blessed to have found such a beautiful place so much closer to my home affords me the chance to calm myself and get back in touch with the fun of it all.

So it goes with me and with all of us. If we stop, regroup and remind ourselves to be grateful for each moment, we align ourselves with positive energy and gratitude. If we resist and push ourselves along our journey, not pausing to embrace our changes and to take gentle care of ourselves, then we assure ourselves that we will miss all the fun. When we are not having fun is the likely time to soother ourselves with junk food. So my message is this:

Have more fun. No matter what you are doing take time to pause and check in with yourself often, every day. You may not be able to control everything that happens around you but you do have the power over what you are doing to yourself inside. When you visit yourself in a few moments of quiet and remind yourself of your blessings then emotional eating is likely to recede into the background and your attitude will change. You will feel good about you and that is a big step towards feeling good about everything else.

Enjoy your day! Warmly, Dr. Denise

No comments: